Friday, October 4, 2013

Orson Wells

A time without TV.  Can you even imagine that? No Breaking Bad, no Futurama, nothing but a box with someone Else's voice and a room full of imagination. As I sit at my desk and listen to Orson Well's War of the Worlds broadcast, I immediately notice the tone of his voice. This deeper, more particular voice. I can only describe his voice as trustworthy.  Even though I know this is a fiction broadcast, the tone of this man's voice and the sincerity that lies within makes me believe what he is saying. To be in the year 1938 and listening this broadcast must be a whole different story. They make it sound like there are interruptions within a normal musical broadcast for this very detailed story of a martian attack. I can imagine a family sitting around the radio at home listening to their daily entertainment filled with music to hear this. Everything is astronomically detailed, professors at Princeton share what they see, literally every detail is described and is scary realistic. At first, I thought these people were insane for actually believing their life is threatened, but after listening to this broadcast, I completely understand. The background noises add a specific detail that makes it so realistic. The "difficulty with the field transmitter" just adds the dramatic feeling to make it sound so much more like real life. They reactant the screams of men and describe burning of peoples bodies and death of police officers. Governors give orders to put NJ under of Marshall Law, no details are left behind. Breaking news is spread throughout the broadcast giving more detailed and more eerie parts of the creatures in rocket cylinders. You have to understand, the radio was the only source of news in 1938 besides the newspaper. The people of the time are hearing this thinking it is an actual news broadcast and I could understand why. It is simply incredible how detailed and realistic the broadcast is. I thought it was incredible. I would sit and listen to this again if Orson Wells had another famous broadcast. It was better then reading a book. Instead of creating your own image in your head, they paint the picture for you. The practical details about how the invasion is affecting the towns and cities is almost scary. It starts in a small town, propagates to the nearby areas, eventually disables an entire state, and it's all there in the broadcast: communication lines cut, the roads clogged with traffic, people fleeing vainly to the nearby cities, Ray Collins choking to death to the sound of the horns of cars and boats. One word to describe the entire broadcast: epic. No one had ever done anything like this before. In those days, drama was drama and news was news. No one ever did news as drama. If it was news, it must be real. To me, it was very convincing. I believe that I would have been one of the guys with my head in my hole also. Simply incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment